Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Courage

Stop kidding yourselves! All of you are delusional. You think that because you walk and think that you are more advanced than all other life. Be humbled ye scampering cowards. Behold Kingdom Plantae.

The Moss:
I AM BORN OF WATER.
Your life began inside of your mother, sheltered, in folds of heavy flesh, but like a bird from a high nest I was cast into the torrent, when solitary, minuscule, alone with my senseless brothers and sisters the water crashed down on my mother's bowed head and wrested me from home. Infinitely vulnerable, infinitely inert, I was tumbled through Earth's water, perhaps to be deposited on some hospitable shore, perhaps to be extinguished, metabolized by fierce life.
I DESTROY STONE.
Without true roots that my tall brother's boast, I absorb solid stone and abundant cold water, incorporating elements of the dead world into my living soul.
I HOLD MY CHILDREN.

The Tree:

You who run away from cold. You who build. You who consume flesh. Behold Kingdom Plantae. Strength is not what you can kill, lift or climb. Strength is what you can endure. I freeze, I boil, I consume your very breath as you speak. I turn the world into power. Worship me and fear my leaving.

The Ferns:

Hishawww, I breathe the low air. I drink the low sun, and I kiss the high dirt. Farewell ye brazen woody trees. Farewell ye lofty shrubs that peddle your berries and brandish your thorns. I'll keep the paths hidden. I'll grow fast and cover the turf. I'll tell secrets the dragon's know, I'm as old. I'm as dirt-drunk, I'm as wise.

The flower:

You fall in love. You offer my death. May you perish while my kind thrives. May you fall into our midst and your delicious meat dissolve into our wide open roots. My life is shorter and slower than your oafish, flailing flicker. May your skull hold soil where flowers will grow in ways you never did.


BEHOLD!
The kingdom of plants developed AFTER the kingdom of animals.

BEHOLD!
The kingdom demands homage. Give your compost to the plants of Earth!

BEHOLD!
Without language plants speak,inspiring poets to weep, artists to crumble, science to baffle.

BEHOLD!
Forego your movement and survive! Plants dare you!

BEHOLD!
Generations of our kind will occupy your body when you have gone. May the roots churn you and may Earth FORGET YOU!

No comments: