Monday, February 4, 2008

One Point for the Little GUY!


Lately I've felt that every time I get on my bike to travel the winter streets of Missoula, I am taking my life in my hands. I've never had that kind of mortal fear in everyday life before, so needless to say I'm very cautious. I haven't fallen yet, knock on wood, but cars and the people who drive them can be REALLY SCARY!

This is why I have a "Fuck Cars" sticker on my water bottle and my mandolin case. If you saw where the sticker is on the case, you might think it was upside down and in a weird place at the bottom of the case, well this is because when I strap the mando to my back and ride my bike, the sticker will be right side up so the cars can all read it and know just what I'm talking about.

Well, there are some places Cars can't go! And the beautiful bike path by the river is one of them. The path is home to joggers, bikers, dog walkers, and the like. From it you can see ducks, great blue herons, beavers, water, sunshine, all kinds of trees and plants and the faces of people that slowly cross by you without a metal box surrounding them and protecting them from the harmful rays of the sun, or the sound and smell of the water, or the gaze of neighbors.

That's right, the river trail system of Missoula is great, and there are NO CARS ALLOWED! I guess the people of Missoula made their choice. Roads are to be ugly, but bikes get to meander with the rolling river. Thank you Missoula tax payers.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Amen! Testify brother!