Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tracking

I can't wait. I'm going hunting for the first time this weekend. I refuse to let the deer be my adversary in this endeavor. I don't know if I will kill anything, one never does. Talk about low impact food production! Wild game is a great food source.

I just treed a raccoon in Greenough park with Kane (wolf, see earlier posts)! I thought this was pretty cool. I saw his wet footprints on the river rocks, and followed them, followed the little guy right to a cottonwood that he was climbing. He clumb the thing like a rock climber moreso than a squirrel: using his fingers, rather than claws. He was wet and bedraggled, climbing slow. I didn't stop to watch him, didn't stop to bother him you know? Well it sure was exciting. Especially since he could have been a river otter since the tracks are very similar between the two animals.
Similarities:
five toes, size, area found.

Differences are:
Raccoon Otter

walks on tippy toes Has webbed feet with a larger hind foot
visible tail drag that swooshes between feet

1 comment:

Matthew said...

So, how did the hunting go? Surely there must be a story...