Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Green Christmas

Let's make it happen people.

In the comments section below, I challenge you to come up with gift ideas that promote sustainability. With black friday gone, it might be late to start talking about this.

My aunt Pat, years ago ran a workshop called green christmas and her suggestions were great. A pyramid of snowballs with a candle inside for a luminarie, reusable festive bags rather than wrapping paper, and other trash reducing ideas.

my personal favorite of hers was this:

"Share traditions rather than gifts." It's simple and beautiful. A tradition I started almost four years ago now is a candle ceremony at Christmas dinner. Everyone eating dinner with you gets a candle and one person has a match. The person who has the match lights someone else's candle and tells them why they are lighting their candle. It is very memorable. I lit my older brother's candle and said,

"I'm going to light your candle because your my brother and you've taught me so much. You've influenced me more than you know and every time I meet someone, they end up knowing about you within three days because I want to tell them about you."

My uncle Chris said to me, something like, "Adam it has been great to watch you grow up and what you've accomplished and I'm sure you'll continue to accomplish great things and make us all proud."

It doesn't have to be completely serious either. We have fun with it and we joke around, so it's just kind of a nice thing. And then you can either let the candles light your meal or blow them out and save them for the next year, or whatever you want.

Spread the Cheer, not the Gear.

1 comment:

John said...

A gift idea I have always liked is a gift of food. Depending on the choices you make in selecting, preparing and presenting the gift, it could have a really low environmental impact. Local products given in a reusable container. The food can help to make the holiday gatherings more fun/enjoyable/memorable and doesn't add to the clutter around the house or in the landfill.