Monday, November 26, 2007

Bluegrass

There is an actual species of grass called Kentucky Bluegrass latin name: Poa pratensis. I always thought it would be cool to have a bluegrass band named Poa Pratensis, Or just Poa. Only other botany nerds would get it. The plant is the dominant lawn grass in America so why aren't our lawns blue all the time? According to Dag Ryen, who wrote a letter to the editor of the Washington Post in 1993, the leaves of kentucky bluegrass are completely green. The seed heads on the other hand are blue, but only develop when the grass is allowed to grow to its full height of two to three feet. Maybe practicing a little backyard conservation would reveal what type of grass is in YOUR lawn!

Anyway, I made thirty buxx and scored a free dinner playing bluegrass mandolin in a coffee shop/art gallery in Arlee, MT. My friend, Erin plays fiddle in a bluegrass ensemble called the Gravely Mountain Boys. She's a girl, so I don't know why they're called that. I think the group has been around since long before Erin was part of it. Possibly before she was born. The group consists of Dick, an old guitar player/singer, Ron, a younger guitarist/singer, Dick's son, a banjo player, and Ron's daughter, a fiddle player. It's a family affair you might say!

Well, they were missing their banjoist so Erin offered me a spot on stage for the night. It was a beautiful Montana night. Cold and crisp with good sunlight shining on the staggering mission mountains. We practiced before hand at Ron's house where I got to sit in an official bluegrass rocking chair! It was perfect for picking, armless so I had all the elbow room I needed, and it allowed the perfect amount of slouch. We warmed up on a few tunes and then went to the coffee shop.

It was a fun show and I played bones for them, a traditional Irish percussion instrument. I had to use all my musical knowledge to keep up with these boys! They weren't telling me what chords to play, I had to figure it out by looking at their guitar playing hands. But then again, they were using capos so I had to transpose as I went along, while trying to look natural and lively on stage. It was hard. I only jumped in to take the lead a couple times at the end. And with the stress of being on stage I totally biffed the ONE song that I already knew! Red haired boy is a tune that I play constantly, but I messed it up. Oh well. Everyone knew I was an outsider anyway so I think they cut me some slack. My friends Courtney and Dan came to watch, Courtney came later because she was in a hottub looking at the mountains under the moonlight while the Mountain Boys and I ate soup and shmoozed with the locals.

Fun night.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

You biffed "Red Haired Boy?" In public? Oh, the shame. ;-)

In the "It could always be worse" department: I once played guitar in a three piece band called the Rainy Day Ramblers. Our first gig was a contra dance in Seattle. An enormous crowd - about a hundred people - and our fiddle player got a migraine and had to run off the stage in the middle of a tune to throw up.