Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Disturbance in the Force

I was walking my dog today on Mount Jumbo. I looked up the hill, over the tops of the yellow grass flowers and saw a line of deer bounding across a draw with great speed. The animals were spooked, not looking back and urgently jumping like gazelles in a game of follow the leader. As far as I know deer don't run recreationally, especially in the winter, when energy is low, food is scarce and in high demand. A deer running in winter probably has a good reason.

I thought that if I kept watching I'd see the culprit that scared them.


Sure enough, an sixteen legged beast trundled into view a few seconds later. It was composed of a canine, and four hikers way up in the distance above me. They had hiked up to the crown of mount Jumbo even though its closed in the winter.

Why is it closed in the winter? So hikers don't disturb ungulates that overwinter there.
I guess these folks didn't get the memo. They probably never even saw the deer that they frightened.

I walk my dog on Mount Jumbo every day, and I see the deer most every time. They spend a lot of the time grazing on the snowless South facing slope of the small mountain, so whenever I see them I take Lyra and turn back, for fear of disturbing them. I do it out of respect and out of a sense of duty. I think Lyra would chase the deer if she got the chance.

When I saw the deer running they were leaving their favored grazing spot. These careless hikers had scared them away from it. I hope they find enough food elsewhere, or wait until the hikers leave then go back.

4 comments:

Jack McCullough said...

Sadly, they're not unusual. People are often oblivious to any effect they have, whether it's throwing cigarette butts and candy wrappers out the car window to more subtle things like this. Education is definitely part of it, but you can't really make people care, can you?

Laura said...

I hope I can.

John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...

Read this article about wolves and your school.